Date:
Tue, 17 May 2016 22:14:31 -0500
I had an interesting find today and would like to tap the insights of the group to understand.

I was checking a number of packages installed nearly four weeks ago.  All of these packages came from the same source.  Of the dozen new colonies I opened today, all seemed well but one.  Looking at this colony’s newly emerged workers, many had deformed wings which I assume was caused by the deformed wing virus.  I have never seen this in the first generation of a newly started colony.  Usually I think of this as a potential problem showing itself later in the season when varroa become a greater factor for the developing larvae.

I have not done a mite count for this colony yet.  I would generally not do this for another month or so expecting the mite count in this package-created colony to be low.  I will do a mite count shortly, but I would be surprised to have it turn out high.  The other overwintered colonies near it in the beeyard (one word for me) that I have done a mite count on show 1 mite per 100 or less.  They did not "catch" mites from the neighbors.

What I find to be an interesting question - could the DWV have been carried by the queen?  If the queen was parasitized by varroa and contaminated with DWV in the beeyard that she was raised, could she now be carrying the virus and sharing it with her offspring?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Larry Krengel
Northern Illinois