From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2017 10:17:08 -0500
Jack wrote:
>The requirement to triple rinse containers is to reduce the concentration left on the container for safe disposal of the container.The container never >becomes "clean".

Many moons ago, circa 1990, I worked for American Cyanamid, which, at the time, was one of the largest manufacturers in the world of ag chemicals, including some extremely potent herbicides and pesticides (the company has long since disappeared into mists of Big Ag history).  One of the products had a very strong yellow color to it, almost orange, and it was sold in 5-gallon plastic buckets.  They were covered in warnings about the product, which, while highly diluted for use and applied in extremely small doses per acre, was quite toxic in its concentrated form.  Our Safety Hot Line got a call one day from a farmer, who had a question.  He had a large number of left over buckets, which just happened to be the perfect size for him to brine his hams.  He said that after brining the hams in the buckets, they had all turned yellow, and wanted to know what happened.  When it was explained to him that the buckets were not supposed to be reused and that the hams were ruined, he replied, "But I triple rinsed them!"

Times have changed, and I know that people are better educated about and aware of the proper use (and disposal) of ag chemicals and their containers, but this kind of stuff still happens with alarming frequency.

Bill
Claremont, NH US