From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:06:08 -0800

> From: "Jim Smith" <[log in to unmask] Almond Bloom in California
> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 > growers that don't spray actually don't--there
are common organic oils,
> lime
> sulfur and other compounds usually applied about this time.  Of course,
> these sprays should have minimal (if any) effects on bees--especially if
> timing is adjusted to early am or later pm
 I believe almond growers are well aware of the dangers of putting
insecticide on bloom.I dont worry about that anymore.I do have a slight
concern about the heavy fungicide spraying that goes on during every break
between rainstorms.I know it has to be done ,I guess it just bugs me a
little to see the blast of spray hit a tree full of bees during the warm
part of the day.A few dead bees can be found in front of the hives when
this is going on.Guess its just the price we pay so the growers can save
the bloom.I never stayed around long enough to see how long before the bees
returned to the trees ,but the spraying sure makes an orchard go quiet
right after.An old farmer told me once"Look on the bright side.It will keep
the mold from growing on the boxes!" Cold weather has slowed the bloom some
but warmer wetter weather seems to be on the way next week.
---Mike