Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 19:24:42 EDT
Hello Eugene,
I delayed answering due to throat surgery to restore my speaking voice.
Sorry!

You are in Missouri which does not have much of a nectar flow in July and
August.
If you are starting packages on FOUNDATION rather than drawn comb, it would
be VERY rare if your bees could drawn more than 20 frames of foundation on a
nectar
flow.  Bees have to consume (eat) 8 pounds of honey to make and produce 1
pound of wax comb; and hence bees definitely do NOT build any wax comb unless
there is a nectar flow, or an artificial nectar flow of 1:1 sugar syrup.

Speaking for myself and all my "students" in my almost 70 years of teaching
beekeeping, in my area in Maryland close to Washington, DC, there is no
nectar flow
after June 15th.  Hence, when package bees are started in April on
foundation, we
feed 1:1 sugar syrup continuously to Labor Day in September in order to get
30-40
frames of foundation drawn and some filled with honey made from sugar syrup
so that the colony is strong in November, gets through the winter easily, and
makes a lot of honey the following spring.

There are very few places anywhere in the whole U. S. that there is enough
nectar flow spread over several months to get a package colony on FOUNDATION
only strong for next spring without feeding sugar syrup over a long time.
Sugar costs very little and now 3 pound packages cost $50, so I use sugar.

George Imirie
Certified EAS Master Beekeeper
Starting my 70th year of beekeeping in Maryland
Author of George's PINK PAGES