From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 07:38:44 -0800
I'm confused.  Last year all we heard about here in Alabama was the severe shortage of colonies for almond pollination.  The rumor went around that there were even offers of up to $150 per hive at the start of the blooming period.  I have also heard that it's going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to carry migration colonies into California from out of state because of a prohibition of hives with evidence of hive beetle presence.  What is happening out there in California?  Have the numbers of colonies within state increased so dramatically from last year that the almond growers won't need out of state pollination services?  Have the in-state commercial beekeepers managed to get restrictions passed on the movement of migratory hives into California.  Seems if large numbers of out of state migratory beekeepers aren't allowed to come in that pollination prices would sky-rocket.  After $150 a hive last year, $60 to $80 a hive this year doesn't seem reasonable unless ya'!
 ll really
 grew the bees out there in California this past year.

Enlighten me.

Mike   Located in lower Alabama