From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 09:27:05 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Harry Goudie
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>I would agree that it would be pointless to destroy the colony at St
>Andrews as I would expect that much of Southern and Eastern Scotland is
>already infected.  I can't comment on the Irish situation as I am not
>familiar with the distribution of bees or the geography of Ireland.

Dear Harry et al,

There were several colonies involved at St. Andrews. They were in three
seperate apiaries and the infestations ranged from over 300 mites
dropped in a diagnostic test to only one. I have recieved this
information from a VERY reliable source.

Unfortunately it appears that something of a witch hunt developed, and
several of the 'hawks' put severe pressure on the unfortunate beekeepers
who found they had the mite, and as a result of beekeeper pressure, NOT
from the authorities, the colonies have been destroyed.

To me this is tragic, and at least one of the parties involved is an old
time beekeeper who has loved his bees and been diligant and vigilant for
years. This man deserves praise and support as he was sharp enough to
discover what others had not, namely that varroa is in his area. He did
not deserve to be hounded out of bees.

>Seriously, I would like to see more positive effort being made to keep
>some parts of our country varroa free especially the Islands.  The only
>100% way I know of killing varroa is to destroy the colony.  To
>"Control" the varroa is only giving it more time to spread.

My point was mainly that it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will find this
infestation first year. By the time you find it it already HAS spread.
I outlined the only circumstances under which, in my opinion,
destruction could be a viable option in the previous posting. Under all
other circumstances it is TOO LATE once you find it, and destruction
will only cause pain and anguish to the vigilant beekeeper. It could
even be an incentive to some not to declare either hive ownership, or
worse, conceal the fact they have varroa, and that really will cause you
trouble.

>I don't think that bees travelling on the front of cars is a very
>serious threat.  We have had fish lorries coming from France to
>Ullapool  and lochinver for years and have not had any varroa
>infestations.  I think there is probably more chance of winning the
>lottery than getting varroa from that source!

I agree that it is probably not a primary vector of spread, but it seems
plausible enough to me to have possibly occurred occasionally. It is not
my research, and was reported to me during a visit by some Scandinavian
beekeepers recently. They did quote me a source for it but I'm afraid I
cannot recall exactly what it was.

> I don't believe the 40
>mile flying drones either.  Are you trying to tell me that a drone from
>Inverness is going to fly 40 miles west to an area devoid of bees to
>mate with a queen with also must have done the same journey??

This was, I understand, done on Jutland, with a very similar climate to
us here. Drones were being marked at remote locations and trapping done
in congregating areas. A few were caught carrying marker discs applied
some 60 Km away. I cannot vouch for this research and I believe it is
disputed in Denmark. However, I have heard in the past, again
anecdotally, of problems encountered with isolated mating sites on the
Isle of Man. Drones were coming in from the UK mainland and spoiling the
whole effort. Whilst I do not know the actual source of this story, the
name of Eva Crane is frequently quoted in connection with it, and if
true, she is certainly a credible reporter.

> Even I
>would not go to that length for a bit of sex!

Nor I, Harry. But there are many sad cases who for whatever reason
travel from all over to Thailand or Philippines etc., for just that
purpose. As for drones and varroa, it only takes one infested carrier
and a new seat of infestation can start up.

Just one point to illustrate how vulnerable we ALL are here in Scotland.
Migratory beekeeping is common. Beekeepers travel large distances to get
to their favourite bits of heather, and heather moors are notorious all
over Europe as places where a high level of drifting takes place and
thus varroa is spread reasonably quickly. Overlap of beekeepers is
common, and in its most extreme form in Scotland leaves you under threat
NOW.

A beekeeper from Fife, with some of his hives within 10 miles of St.
Andrews, places hives up the A9 for the heather at Carrbridge, Slochd,
and Tomatin. I know him. I buy his honey. I will not name him because I
do not want him hounded out of business. In that area he overlaps quite
significantly with a professional enterprise from the north, who I know
to have hives within 10 miles of Lochluichart. The infestation in St.
Andrews is probably 3 years old. Given the annual rate of spread of
varroa mites, whilst admittedly unlikely, it is possible that it could
pop up in your area next.

Start watching for them now, and if you find them report it immediately
and get on with treating them. Do not destroy them, because that is a
knee-jerk reaction with little or no chance of ridding the area of
varroa. It will not be the end of the world if you or I get it in our
bees, and almost every respondent on this list will already be living
with it, the majority of them quietly and successfully after the first
wave. Sure, it is an unwelcome and serious pest, but its arrival is
inevitable and it CAN be lived with.

Murray
--
Murray McGregor