From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 12:30:45 -0700
> We've come to accept that we have to "crack" between ALL supers with a
> hive tool, somewhat difficult and time consuming to start with but we
> have adjusted to it.

Here's how we do it:  we loosen the super just enough that we can rotate
it around it's vertical axis without lifting, then give it a twist.  A few
degrees (20-30? will do.  This breaks all ladder comb neatly without
pulling frames and comb apart, and the box can then be lifted without
frames comming out of the lower box too.

This trick is useful in all cases where ladder comb is a problem.  As Tim
says, it is best not to get to the point where the boxes are plugged, but
then sometimes we get lucky and it happens. I wish it would happen more.

We no longer remove the burr/ladder comb on tops and bottoms of frames
unless it is extreme, but leave it to provide better continuity up and
down the hive.  In double broods, particularly, the queen will go up and
down much better.

Allen Dick                                  VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
     [log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
       http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/