From:
bob harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:40:26 -0500
Mark G Spagnolo wrote:

> I am disappointed because now only Hawaii can be considered "mite-free".

I am glad you used the word considered. How many NZ packages went out
this year with a male and female Varroa and their suitcases?
We used to have  a saying in the U.S. " There are two kinds of
beekeepers-Those with Varroa and those going to get Varroa!"

>  If breeding is the answer to controlling mites, a mite-free environment =
> is crucial.

If you are breeding for resistance to Varroa why would a mite free
environment be crucial? I could see where it might be slightly helpful
when dealing with expensive breeder queens but crucial?  I am not a
queen breeder.

 In light of the New Zealand experience, it is only a matter =
> of time before the mites invade Hawaii.  The controls are in Hawaii are =
> not nearly as tight as those in New Zealand.

Maybe as in NZ they are allready there but haven't surfaced yet. I am
still trying to figure how they got in the U.S.,Canada and now N.Z. as
each country had controls in place.

 Will an open Canadian border affect the =
> pollination and packaged and queen industry in California?

Many Canadian beekeepers feel they never got the quality of packages &
queens from NZ that they did from California. Shortage on wts. from NZ
is common knowledge. I am only repeating what i have been told so
probbably should let the Canadians respond but i buy all my queens in
California from Wooten's and i am thrilled with the queens and service.
Demand for their queens is so high you need to order at least 50 + to
place a order. U.S. queen breeders will do their best to fill the void
left by NZ if the borders are opened.

 Will this =
> effect the price of pollination in the almond orchards?

Why would you ever think NZ getting mites would effect the price of
pollination in California. Not enough hives could raise the prices maybe
this year if hives keep crashing do to fluvalinate resistance.

> Amazing how the discovery of a few small mites in a small apiary in New =
> Zealand could possibly effect the fortunes of many people many thousands =
> of miles away.

I have seen more changes in the beekeeping industry in the last fifteen
years than any time in history. Wonder what the next fifteen are going
to be like?

Happy beekeeping!
Bob Harrison U.S.A.