From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:31:30 PDT
 Re Allens' comments re the queens piping.  Are you sure it is queens? I know
 that there is a lot of talk about queen piping but I will let you know what I
 have found.

 We hear this piping in the cages of queens and escorts when we have them in
 the house prior to shipping.  However, in the field I have been catching
 queens from nucs and held a frame of bees in my hand and heard the same piping
 sound.  I thought, good, the queen is on this frame as she is piping.  After
 looking and looking and thinking I had better go and see the eye man, I put
 that frame aside and pulled another frame from the hive.  There was the queen.
  As she had been in the hive whilst I was looking at the frame, what bee made
 the piping sound on the frame I was first looking at?

 Trevor Weatherhead
 AUSTRALIA