From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 07:56:04 -0700
On Thu, 23 May 1996, Tim Peters wrote:

> At 10:37 AM 5/23/96 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >    Having kept my honey records for twenty years
> >with a broken pencil and a smudged envelope, it's
> >time to get organized.
> >    Do I make up my own spread sheet, or is there
> >inexpensive software out there designed for beekeepers?   thanks,
> >bill mares
> >

>         I'd be interested in this also, since I am presently working up
>         my own sheet on Lotus. Nothing creative or original mind you. As a
>         guide or starting point I'm using a page snitched (with permission)
>         from a pad of log sheets that my local supplier had in stock. These
>         logs have many more data columns than I will need so I am creating my
>         own sheet with only those data points that are relevent for me.

  Hi Tim , I know the log sheets that your talking about and they are
good for manual record keeping.People getting started in beekeeping would
find them useful, since they have most of the info that you need to
follow with your hive.
  I'm  working with word perfect and microsoft works.One is for Queen
evaluation and tracking breeder lines.There are a few equations needed to
work on mating designs. I may need to have a program done from the bottem
up to cover what I want.As far as a record on a hive  , I set up works
because it came with my machine. I have Quick Books to track the business
and it works well for me and my CPA.
  The most important part is, some kind of record on your hive or
hives.If you keep some good records , you will be able to learn much more
about the bees. Three years ago I had a supercedure problem and I knew
who was the breeder.The most important part was the behavioral changes
beside the supercedure problem.By keeping records it was easy  to rule
out the weather , how much room was in the hive and a few other
things.You have some data to look at and a place to start asking questions.
With the computer is is even faster and you can even make charts.
 Best Regards
   Roy