Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 08:52:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Bill

I purchased 20 med plastic frames (Pierco I think) at the EAS '03 auction at Bowdoin and have used them mixed with wood and wax ever since.
On a good flow the bees will draw them readily when sandwiched between 2 well drawn combs at 9 frames per box.
However,my wife,and extraction partner, does't like them because they don't fit the frame notch in my Brushy Mt 9 frame radial(believe this has been fixed) and,when fully drawn and capped,they are so heavy that unless you load 3 evenly in the basket,the basket is unbalanced.I even get capped cells along the top and bottom bars.Because of this,I can understand Jim's comment re bridge comb if they are aligned vertically.
It may be my imagination but the bees seem to propilize them less and they are very easy to manipulate in the super.

But,like all plastic foundation,it is way to much work to scrape for comb renewal and will eventually end up in the trash.I am switching to all mediums so I rotate super combs down into the brood nest and brood combs to the solar melter.I find it easier to draw comb in a super on a good flow and a queen will rapidly lay in empty drawn comb in an expanding brood nest.

You probably don't remember but we met that week when I introduced myself after recognizing your name from Bee-l.

Jack
Sent from my NOOK

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned

LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:

http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2