Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 07:15:43 -0700
 From http://vshbreeders.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=160
---

Goals for the 2013 VSHBreeders Breeding Plan

1. Develop a practical plan for the dissemination of high expressing VSH
breeding material
to groups/individuals who will produce queens from it, mate them in
their region and track them for one season,
select the most desirable based on pre-determined selection methods,
make virgins from these and return some
for the 2nd round.

2. Selection data will be kept in records on each "local" queen to
include economic performance, mite resistance and any other valuable traits.

3. After the "selection period" has elapsed, breeders will determine if
any of the "local queens"
are desirable and arrangements will be made to rear virgins from any
desirable ones.

4. A portion of the desirable virgins (some may be traded freely as long
as accurate records are kept) should be shipped to the designated
participants to inseminate them with verified high expressing VSH semen
and ensure their health. Virgin daughters from these "1st round
breeders" will then be returned to the original individual/group
breeders to begin the selection cycle again.

This rough plan has many discussion points. Let's work those in this thread.

Ground Rules

1. Participants/Groups need to be proficient in rearing quality queens.
If you're just starting out, there are many ways to contribute to this
project, but queen rearing skill is essential to the stock evaluation
portion.

2. Participants/Groups need to be on the VSHBreeders.org map so others
can see where you are and how to contact you.

3. Participants/Groups need to agree on and adhere to selection methods
and metrics we develop from this discussion: standardized tests for what
we're seeking is the only way we can make any progress. If you have a
problem with adhering to a selection protocol, that's fine and
understood, but that doesn't have place in a cooperative breeding program.

4. Participants/Groups need to agree on and adhere to record keeping to
include:
Marked Queens. If you have unmarked queens, part-way through the test,
they should be dropped from the testing. A small amount of certain
breeding information is much more valuable then a large amount of
uncertain breeding information. Marks wear off, queens are
superseded--no problems. Marked queens need to be used to rear virgins
for round 2.

5. Mite load
Participants/Groups need to develop how we'll maintain these colonies.
Untreated is the best selection scenario, but losing a colony to mites
isn't good. Perhaps we'll arrive at a threshold mite level and anything
over that will be dropped from the test? Up for discussion.