From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:11:58 -0400
Bob in Bequia
You point out many treatments for varroa and tracheal mites. My
problem with most is there are no good studies backing them up.
As one who, when I started beekeeping, put menthol cough drops in
his hive based on the advice of seasoned -but no longer-
beekeepers, I value evidence supported by the scientific method.
Which means repeatable by others testing the method.
I have seen nothing on Dr. R's FGMO treatment since he left the
list. There was supposed to be a study, but if someone knows the
results, they have not printed it here. There are studies on
essential oils going on now. Again, the results are not in yet.
But they are doing it right.
Right now, oil patties for tracheal mites and Apistan for varroa
work. Apistan is a mild pesticide compared to others approved for
use in the hive. Formic Acid, even if you call it natural, is not
something to be taken lightly. I use crisco and not menthol. I
always go for the less harmful over the more.
And I go for the proved over the unproved. There are as many
testimonials to the failure of several of the applications you
mentioned compared to web sites touting their wonderful results.
Back when essential oils were being pushed as the final solution
for tracheal mites, there were many beekeers who lost everything
using them.
I occasionally throw on an oil soaked paper towel in the hives,
but every fall treat with Apistan. If and when Varroa hits you, I
would suggest you do the same.
Bill T
Bath, ME