From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:36:25 -0800
> >I have been told that what is used in the miteaway pads is a formic
> stearic
> solution.

Bob, it is proprietary, and I don't know for sure, but I believe that it is
a formate ester.  I approached a chemist 20 years ago to see if I could come
up with essentially the same thing.

An ester is a compound made by combining an organic acid and an alcohol,
removing a molecule of water in the process.  If you add water back, the
chemical may break back down to the original components.

As I understand it, Miteaway works in such a fashion--it absorbs moisture
from the hive, and slowly releases the formic acid that is formed.

Simple soaking in formic would not recharge that same way.

Randy Oliver