From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:12:27 -0500
I don't think there has ever been an implied "seal of approval" on any
ad placed in any magazine.  All one can assume for sure is the
advertiser paid the bill.

To collect in one place the three ads Bob picked out, they were:
1. Checkmite to control small hive beetle (SHB),
2. CCD solution, and
3. "The Cyclone" (white vinegar fogger?)

Personally I have tried none of the above.  I took a very public stand
when Checkmite was first released stating I'll watch my bees die before
I put coumaphos in my hives.  Given what we know now about comb
contamination I am glad I stuck to my guns.

CCD Solution:  Is it the stuff described at:
http://www.theccdsolution.com/CCD%20Laminated%20Instructions.pdf ?
Again, I'm skeptical.  First, how can there be a solution to a problem
we don't understand!?  And yes I realize CCD Solution refers to a liquid
solution not an answer to the CCD problem, although the ad infers that
the solution is the solution!  The web page doesn't list prices, but the
circles of treatment using the various different formulations of the
solution seem to me to border on absurdity!  Spraying (the hive, 10ft,
50ft, throughout the area) seems prohibitive.  I certainly can't imagine
spraying that area with my garden SprayMaster!  And the other
recommendations are a balance of sound beekeeping practices, best case
practices (if practicable), and simply outlandish!  And the recommended
treatment area of 2 acres hardly seems like a forage area my bees will
respect.  This is a case where I would welcome evaluations from the
Organic Beekeepers group.  Dee, are you still listening?

The Cyclone: Is this the vinegar fogger?  Again, no personal experience,
but I understand through the grapevine that many are offered on Ebay.

So yes Bob, caveat emptor!  Readers should realize that the trade rags
exist to make money.  They need ads to turn profits.  I hope Joe and Kim
will correct me if I'm wrong, but as I already wrote, I doubt an ad in
their magazine implies an official endorsement.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!