From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:57:23 -0500
At 06:11 PM 12/20/2005, you wrote:
>The way I see it (in my feeble little high school  drop out/non-scientific mind)  is that it IS important that the others get lured back to the trap.

I suppose it depends on what you are trying to achieve with the trap.   If your goal is simply to have fewer yellow jackets in the fall robbing the hives (my goal anyways), then loosing a few scouts that bring back more is a good thing.  It could have the effect of attracting yellow jackets from a much wider area then would be present under normal conditions, but I think the hives themselves already do that.

But if your intent is to eliminate yellow jackets from an area (picnic area, school playground, etc.) then any increased activity in the area caused by lost scouts could be considered a bad thing.

The trap I use is a simple 2 liter bottle with holes cut a couple inches from the top in which those plastic queen cell protectors are placed  (They act like a funnel).  Simple and it works well.  For bait I use the burnt honey water I get from melting down cappings in a stock pot with water.

-Tim