Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:51:52 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (47 lines)
At 15:46 05/06/96 -0400, you wrote:                                             
<snip>                                                                          
>This is a problem with the list one day your question will raise lots of       
>answers, the next, nothing! It feels like working in a vacuum.                 
>        I believe your first mistake was using bees from a swarm to make the   
>mini nucs. These bees are unsettled and looking for a home complete with       
>queen, any port in a storm attitude. So the first virgin or queen out and      
>it's off we go, especially if you get lots of bees fanning with their          
>'Nasanov' glands. To give you an idea of how bees travel. Last year I made     
>up 4 mini nucs, all from the same hive, gave each one a cell emerging at       
>different times. The first one out got all the bees, the remaining cells       
>were deserted, failed to emerge. Strangely enough that virgin failed to        
>mate. Then customers of ours complain about the price of queens!!              
>        Secondly, to make mini nucs requires various ages of bees. Provided    
>that original top super has brood, then there is a good chance of getting      
>bees of all age groups.                                                        
>        Finally, contrary to popular view, young virgin queens will feed       
>themselves, we have watched them do it. It is only when the queen is mated     
>that she seems to rely on her entourage for food.                              

Thanks a lot David at least I now know that the list is receiving my posts.     

Its uncanny, I have now checked the mini nucs (three batches of four) and in    
each case the bees are all in a single queen right nuc. The other boxes are     
deserted except for the odd robber after the candy!                             

So your experience seems to be a common occurrence. I have another batch of     
virgins emerging this weekend, I will ensure there is some food for them in     
the cell holder, I have read a mixture pollen and honey will suffice, is        
this correct.                                                                   

I am using two types of minis, the polystyrene type and a modified super        
box(a friend makes them), which comprises 5 super frames. We have designed      
another(currently being put together) which divides the super into four and     
uses half size super frames in each with a separate entrance. Anyone tried      
this method?                                                                    

Thanks for your help                                                            
      -                 Ken Black                                               
       "  `             Bay Tree Cottage                                        
       "   `            76 East St, Fritwell                                    
   _- -_`-_|'\  /`      Bicester,                                               
 _/ / / -' `~()()       Oxfordshire, England. OX6 9QF                           
  \_\ _ /\-._/\/        00441869345725 Fax:00441869256678                       
       /   | |          email: [log in to unmask]                     
      '`   ^ ^                                                                  

ATOM RSS1 RSS2