From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:12:30 -0600
> Yesterday after a couple of days of hard rain one of my apiarys got
flooded.
>  The water rose about 8 feet and some of my bees are underwater.  It was
> interesting to see the now river flowing around the hives without them
even
> budging.   The water covered the first deep and maybe a inch or two of
the
> second deep

We had a wintering yard flood in the spring.  The pallets of hives were
carried along and then left against willow clumps by the receding water.

We assumed they would be dead and had other work, so we left them for a
while.  It was very muddy there too, so we put off going in. When we did --
to our surprise -- most of the hives were alive and doing quite nicely --
better than many other yards.

The pallets had acted as rafts. and although the water went well up into
the bottom box, it did not go much into the top boxes, except in very heavy
hives.   As for mud, our water was pretty clean, and what dirt there was,
the bees cleaned out after we reversed them.

So we had a happy ending.  Hope you do too.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/