From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 07:46:25 -0400
On 7-Apr-10, at 5:08 PM, Juanse Barros wrote:

> This is very interesting and totally counterintuitivelly. Non
> russian doing
> better than russians after a hard winter. mmm

Hi Juanse and all

This was not a hard winter here.  Too long for an old guy like me,
but milder and less snow than normal.  November was very mild(daytime
always above 0C highest 18C, only 10 nights below 0C lowest -4,
little snow all month), January had a mild stretch of 10 days(daytime
above 0C nighttime below),  March had more nice days than July 2009
(22 sunny days above 0C highest 17C).  My losses were low, but I
believe most hives would have starved had I not fed fondant starting
in January.  A friend called in mid November to say that her hive was
light(had 2 brood boxes stuffed with stores before the killing frost
in October).  She fed 27 kg 2:1 syrup in 2 weeks but didn't follow up
with fondant as I suggested and the hive starved in early February.
I don't know how this winter would have affected Russians but my
Ontario stock mongrels are mostly very strong.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W