From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:30:26 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/98 7:27:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Does anyone have any information about the use of 'paper sludge'
 fertilizer.  We have an opportunity to purchase 20 overwintered colonies
 that have been housed in an area surrounded for about 50 acres with
 fields fertilized using paper sludge.  The product is spread several
 inches thick over the entire area and we are concerned about the
 possible affect this may have (have had) on the bees.  The colonies
 appear relatively strong, but neighbors in the area are complaining
 bitterly about being bothered by large numbers of bees invading their
 space; it does not appear the bees are very happy with the stuff.  Any
 advice concerning this issue would be appreciated.

    Paper used to be notorious for lead and heavy metal content. Printing was
a lead based process and color inks also contained many metals. Nowadays
printing is based more and more on offset technique with soy based printing
inks, and non toxic dyes. So the quality of the paper sludge used is based on
what printing was used on the original papers, and could only be determined by
tests.  That much paper pulp used on the land would mulch it so heavily it
would kill much of the vegetation and probably the bees have little to forage.

<< Further:  as we are novices, is it common practice for beekeepers to
 make 'nukes' from overwintered colonies prior to placing them for sale?>>

   If you purchase them early, you will probably get the entire colony, but,
as swarm season approaches, many beekeepers make nucs to replace losses and
have some extra bees for sale.  If an honest beekeeper has made some nucs, he
has taken care of your swarm control management for a while. If a dishonest
beekeepers sells you splits, they may be too weak to do much.

    I have one customer who buys 40 50 nucs from me each year.  We have had a
surplus of rain this season and the nucs are not building as normal. So I just
called him to delay his pickup date by a week. I am going to give each nuc an
extra frame of brood and another round of feeding.  I think he will appreciate
the difference.

    So your most important point is to determine if you are dealing with an
honest beekeeper, or a fast buck artist.  You don't want to buy "colonies"
that are just a couple frames of bees, nor do you want unmanaged colonies that
are just about to blow a lot of swarms.

 <<Further:  Could someone let me know what is the  'average' poundage of
 wax per super accumulated through the extraction process? >>

   I've never kept records, but I believe the cappings wax will run around
5-10 lbs per drum of honey, but it is quite variable, depending on the
efficiency of your system. Usually there is someone in the area who can take
your slumgum (the crud left after wax extraction) and, for a portion of the
results, extract more wax. Ask other beekeepers who does this in your area.

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm