From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:28:24 -0400
I didn't expect to create such a storm, but the discussion here and under *AHB
in the Northeast* shows a lot of thought, and I have certainly learned.
 But with all this attention, I do realize I have failed to state (again)
that I do not mean to denigrate all migratory beekeepers. Some of those I
know are straight, honest and extremely knowledgable. Some are 'bent', do
not subscribe and read either magazine and would not think of attending a
technical seminar. Whatever technical knowledge they have comes from other
beekeepers. I only know 15-20 migratory beekeepers so cannot very well
generalize my experience to all.
 Nonetheless, I do get tired of hearing 'get used to it, because of
pollination needs we have to put up with these conditions', and I know very
well that we don't have enough Tony J's to go around and the migratory
beekeeping industry is essentially uncontrolled and unpoliced and is likely
to stay that way. BTW, I also happen to feel that the migratory beekeeping
industry *should be* uncontrolled and unpoliced, unless it is through an
organization formed by themselves. There are some areas (most areas?) where
the government has no business.
 As to controlling behavior through the threat of lawsuits...don't fool
yourselves. The vast majority of migratory beekeepers that I know don't have
anything worth suing for. A modest home, some equipment, and some beehives.
Maybe $1 million in insurance, but most likely that only applies to product
liability. But maybe it is all under the mattress?
 I happen to be one of those not overly concerned about AHB in the
Northeast. As my beekeeping operation has grown I have moved yards from
suburban areas to farm areas; the more remote the better. While this moving
has been to improve honey yields, there is an added benefit in being away
from human populations. That said, I still 'object' to the fact that I will
likely have to adapt to conditions that would not exist if migratory
operations were to go away. And yes, crops would still get pollinated as the
fees would skyrocket and beekeepers would keep year-round populations
because it would be economic to do so. In fact, that is the situation in
most countries and our huge migratory system has only been possible because
of cheap fuel. But that is another subject...
 Lloyd

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.