Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:15:16 -0600
> Chris, you don't know how extreme. And some years it's not the extremes,
> but rather the length of time without a cleansing flight.

> Don't confuse wrapping with packing. Packing involves adding some type of
> insulation under the wrapping material. Wrapping is simply a layer of 15
> pound felt paper with some type of insulation on the inner cover.

Thanks guys for helping out.  You are covering things I overlooked.

Also, I got the following off-list, so I guess we should really get into the
topic again.  After all, this is the time of year for it, up here in  the
Northern Hemisphere at least.

> Does wrapping increase food consumption over the winter by keeping
> everyone warmer inside?  That is, should 2:1 sugar be fed all winter long?
> Do you use a single layer of tar paper just wrapped around the 2 deeps?

Firstly, as our friend says, "All beekeeping is local", so any advice will
have a local flavour, and underlying assumptions which may not be expressed.
so caveat emptor, and consult your local experts before going all-in with
something new.

To answer the last question, my wrapping experience and methods (excuse me,
"packing") are described, discussed and illustrated at honeybeeworld.com and
can be found using a search there or from the "Selected Topics" menu.

Packing actually can reduce food consumption by a considerable amount.  If
overdone, however, the opposite can happen, since the bees get overactive.

Should one feed syrup all winter?  It depends.  If your bees will starve
otherwise, do.  If not, don't.  Wait until spring, and don't start too early
unless forced to.

I cannot overemphasize the need to weigh hives early enough in the fall to
be able to feed them up to wintering weight.  A double brood hive should
weigh a MINIMUM of 110 lbs (with normal-type floor and lid) to stand a good
chance of wintering well in continental North America, north of 40 degrees
or so.  Coastal areas my differ. More is better. Less means you are going to
expect to have to feed.

There are many ways to weigh hives, including fish scales, or simply placing
a bathroom scale under one end, lifting the other and doubling the result.
Accuracy within ten pounds or so is not important.

Experienced beekeepers can just tip hives a little and know instantly,
although we all get fooled sometimes.  Once the weight of some sample hives
is known, 'most anyone can compare the rest by hefting one side or one end.