From:
John Goodman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:14:39 +0000
HONEY v FIELD CROP (GM/Ha)

I am trying to build up some comparative gross margin figures for honey and
arable field crops, especially for temperate field crops on which
polllination fees are not normally paid, ie by comparing the value of honey
output with field crop output for common nectar producing crops such as
Alfafa, Borage, Buckwheat, Clover, Field Beans, Oilseed Rape, Mustard (&
other Brassica seed crops), Phacelia, Sunflowers, Tobacco etc. The
information will be used to prepare a talk for beekeepers which will enable
them to better understand their farming neighbours and the honey potential
of their field crops by comparing their margins with those commonly
achieved by farmers for arable crops. Agricultural costing conventions will
be used in the comparision. Some idea of typical fixed costs based on say
50, 100, 500 or 1000 hive enterprises would also be useful. Naturally, I
should be interested in the honey crop gross margins of other crops if you
have them. It should put the honey crop into perspective with respect to
other farm crops.

GROSS MARGIN=OUTPUT-VARIABLE COSTS

OUTPUT/VALUE
(eg honey, wax, bees, propolis, pollination contracts etc)
[eg field crop, oilseed, fodder, forage, straw, residues etc]
VARIABLE COSTS
(sugar, drugs, foundation, containers, transport, insurance etc)
[seed, fertilizer, crop protection chemicals, pollination fees etc]
FIXED COSTS
(rent, labour, equipment, machinery, property maint., etc)
[rent, labour, equipment, machinery, property maint., etc]

 (HONEY CROP) [FIELD CROP]

(1 Ha = 2.471 ac) Please state Ha or Acres & currency units

It would be much appreciated if anyone can suggest appropriate references
or has the relevant information to hand. Whilst I am aware of the arable
field crop figures for North West Europe, I do not have the details for
elsewhere and to make a reasonable comparision, I would need the field and
honey crop figures for a particular region. Common stocking density ie
hives per Ha/Acre for the crop would also be most useful as would the
likely honey yield per colony or Ha.

Many thanks in anticipation - I shall feed back a digest of the infomation
I receive via the listserver in due course.

Best Wishes,

JOHN GOODMAN

Regional Bee Inspector, NE England
CSL National Bee Unit, UK
# http://www.csl.gov.uk/navf.htm) #

Tel/Message:+44 (0)1833 690561
Fax(at York):+44 (0)1904 462240

International Coordinator for the "Apinet"
APINET BEE (Bee Educ & Ext) NEWS
# ( http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/beenet/ ) #