From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:02:58 +0900
>     I just received and installed a queen from a reputable breeder.
>When comparing the old queen to the new queen that I just purchased I
>noticed the old queen to be considerably longer (having a longer thorax).
> Will the new queen increase in size once she is starting to lay?  Are
>older queens naturally larger than young queens?  If a queen breeder
>sends small queens is it reason to complain or quit using them?

Queen bees frequently arrive looking small as they have not received the
attention and food they will from their hive attendants.  She will increase
in size when well fed and possibly decrease in size again over winter when
not laying.  Give her a season before you judge.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
j.h. & e. mcadam<[log in to unmask]