From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:11:49 -0500
I looked at the web site:
http://www.apiculture.com/plateau-anti-varroas/

I really cannot see the value in glass tubes forming the floor as
opposed to Thomas Cornick's suggestion of using a wire mesh floor.  I
would expect that during the course of a year, semi sticky debris would
fall and stick to the tubes, eventually clogging up the narrow space
between them  and rendering them useless for getting rid of mites.  I
would think that 1/4 inch mesh might be even better than 1/8 mesh
because of less material for debris to stick to.

It also just occurred to me now that a 1/4 inch mesh would allow bees to
move through, perhaps letting them cluster below the hive in the shade
during hot summer days rather than sitting out front in the hot sun.
(They seem to like clustering under the entrance board anyway.)  Mites
could still drop off onto the ground beneath the hive.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA