Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 08:22:24 -0600
?> > Not knowing the system you are emulating, your equipment, I would quite
possibly steer you wrong.

> I would be less circumspect. The use of standard sized foundation has
> never been shown in any credible way to be detrimental to the health of
> colonies.

Well, the reason I did not have an answer was that I did not know the
context.  There was no mention of foundation or the reasons for wanting
"natural comb".  There could be many.  I was unsure how natural comb could
be moved from one position to another and was short of time to reply since I
was off to another meeting.

To me, natural comb is comb drawn by bees where they want and the way they
want.  As soon as the comb shape, orientation and positioning is managed or
guided, frames are added and/or the combs are moved around, it is no longer
IMO, natural comb.

I'm aware that the term, "natural comb", has been applied by some --
somewhat inaccurately IMO -- to describe flat combs built in Langstroth
frames without the use of foundation, but with beekeeper guidance.
Sometimes a starter or guide of some sort is used and sometimes not.

Therefore, to me, the question seems unanswerable unless the writer defines
natural comb differently than I do and explains that understanding.

In my experience, true natural combs -- the cavity chosen by the natural
swarm permitting -- tend to have a central comb which is quite tall and
uninterrupted vertically.  Usually it is a bit wavy and not entirely planar.
This curving adds lateral stability.  The combs built to either side
generally have a similar plan and are spaced an fairly even distance away,
but that spacing often varies over its length.  The size of the cells in the
side combs and the central comb varies somewhat and depends on the history
of the swarm and other factors which are not completely understood.  Many of
us suspect there is a strong element of randomness and coincidence involved.

So, I don't want to make assumptions and I don't want to disparage any
decisions beekeepers may wish to make about how to manage their own bees.

Personally, I have purposely kept hives on natural comb, but never in
frames, other than when I have done a cut out, and that was natural comb,
but natural comb unnaturally truncated and suspended in standard frames.   I
have not observed any magical properties in these "wild" combs, but I am
quite sure there is some difference from comb built on foundation.
Otherwise why would anyone use foundation?

At one point in history the advantages of foundation seemed very obvious,
resulting in almost universal adoption in developed countries.  That
perceived advantage continues to this day, especially for those who mange
large numbers of hives.  In fact, the majority of those beekeepers have
moved from wax foundation to plastic foundation and are convinced of the
superiority for their purposes.

With any technology, there are always hold-outs.  Just as the Amish still
see good reasons to travel by horse-drawn wagons and buckboards,  and eschew
motorized vehicles, some beekeepers still keep bees in skeps and gums or
reject the mainstream technologies.  Some do it for nostalgia, some because
they believe in magic or reject anything that others agree upon, some just
to be different, and some for other reasons they will be happy to explain, I
am sure.

So, I am happy to discuss this when I have time, but first we need to agree
on terminology and reasoning behind any particular management system.