Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:51:59 EST
According to Marc Sevigny:>
> 4. Any good ideas for embedding the wax foundations into the wire?  I don't
> have an electric gizmo, and dont have an embedding wheel.  What do-it-yourself
> methods are practical from things found around a typical house?
>
> That's it for now.  I'm excited and looking forward to this list's advice.
>
> Marc Sevigny
> Harvard, Mass

Marc,

If you use ripple wired foundation and attach top and bottom
securely in the frame, that should suffice.  However, I do like
to cross-wire my frames, for both brood and supers.  I embed
the wires by passing the tip of an electric soldering iron over
the wire just fast enough to to heat it so it will melt into
the wax.  Occasionally I melt a small hole in the foundation,
but that never seems to do any harm.BTW, I use a staple gun
instead of tacks to attach the wire--staple the wire, bend the
end back over the staple and staple it again.  Stretch the wire
tight enough to "sing" and staple the other end the same
way.Install foundation after fastening the wire.

Oh, one more shortcut that works for me--I use a staple at the
edge ot the hole in the frame end, instead of an eyelet, to
keep the wire from cutting into the wood.

(Whenever one asks five beekeepers how to do something, one
gets six answers, usually all good ones.  The ones above work
well for me and save me some time in asembling frames and
foundation.)

Welcome to beekeeping and good luck,

Fred

Augusta County, Virginia