From:
aweinert <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:59:41 +0000
I have started my first Nucleus hive in  an attempt  to breed  a
queen from my existing hives.

I would like some comments on the best way to do the following

start a Nuc.

breed a queen from scratch.  I really only need 2

This is for the experience rather than any thing else, I know it is
easier to buy commercial queens.

I have 2 hives to draw from, they both have young and active queens,
(the new  queens will go to another site)

Both hives are strong and booming now after  the citrus flow,
avacado's and now the Jacaranda's are out, and there is some
eucalyptus out now, I think tallow wood   (I am in North Queensland ,
Australia)

I have 2 * 4 frame and 1  * 5 frame nuc. nuc.s

1* 4 framer  is in action , the others are in store ready to go
So far I have done the following,  placed an old  frame with a fair
part of the wax missing  2 frames from the centre of the strongest
colony, this is an attempt to get a large number of drones  in the
area.

I have started a Nuc. with 1 frame of foundation, 1 frame of polen
and honey, 1 frame with freshly laid eggs and one frame with capped
brood.

This nuc has been put next to an active colony that has benn moced 6
inches (150 mm) to the side  so that feild bees will  enter, this
they have done.

The next  choice is

to wait for 3 - 4 weeks and see if there is a new queen laying,

look  in the nuc next week end to see if queen cells are there,

move the nuc, a few metres / yards away (reason unknown yet)

Other  (I'm still on L (Learner) Plates)

Also I have read that this method can give agressive bee's is this so
 and if so why?  is it something to do with the feed of the grubs in
emergency cells ??

I know this first Queen will not have the full benenfit of the Drones
that I hope to grow, but I figure the next one shoud have a good
chance.

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks

Andrew