From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:17:08 -0500
>Dave Hackenberg said the cost for his rebuild was around $450,000 if I remember correctly. Dave and I discussed his move and Dave said: Beekeeping is all I have ever done!

Yeah.  Same here.  The love and commitment is something you have to live to understand.  Even then, it knocks you over.

I picked this up off the 'net.
---
For no other reason than it’s pretty good advice, here’s a little tidbit from Carlos Castaneda’s The Teachings of Don Juan:

“Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself, and yourself alone, one question. This question is one that only a very old man asks. My benefactor told me about it once when I was young, and my blood was too vigorous for me to understand it. Now I do understand it. I will tell you what it is: Does this path have a heart? All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. They are paths going through the bush, or into the bush. In my own life I could say I have traversed long, long paths, but I am not anywhere. My benefactor’s question has meaning now. Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn’t, the path is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn’t. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you.”
---

For me this path has heart.  That is why, even retired, I cannot leave it.  I know too many wonderful people who give their all for this somewhat peculiar activity.  Researchers, beekeepers, extension people, they all work far beyond the end of the day they are paid to work.  The owner of this list is an example, too, of someone who just loves this crazy beeziness.