From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:40:24 -0400
  REGARDING           RE>Hive scales

Just a note on my experiences with scales.  I bought a heavy duty hanging
spring scale and attached a cleat to the back of the bottom boards of the
hives.  I lift the back of the hive and record the weight for tracking winter
weight loss.  It would be possible to do the same for weight gain during the
honey flow, I suppose, if the scale and I were strong enough (neither is).
This will, of course, not give the actual weight, but for my purpose the
relative weights are good enough.  The major problem I have here in the north
with this sort of procedure is that the bottom boards often freeze to the
ground.  I need to take along a prybar and just hope my bottom boards are good
and strong.

Ted Fischer