From:
Ken Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 23:10:26 -0500
Hello to All:
        Just a quick note to tell you about a Easy swarm I got today.  I
have a 18 frame Glass Hive (made in 1989).  I had lost the hive to
Varroa late in the fall and it has been empty.  Was on the back deck and
looked down the driveway and here come a swarm.  (one of the largest
I've seen)  I have a old smoke house about 6 by 8 feet that holds my
Observation Hive.  The bees went straight for the entrance and didn't
slow down till all were inside.  Now have a hive that is FULL of bees.
I spotted a small cluster of bees on the ground below the entrance which
is about 2 ft off the ground.  In this small cluster was a small Queen.
 I picked her up and put her on the landing board and in she went.  I
will give them a few days to get settled and will have to go in and do
some house cleaning for them.  Scrape the frames and sweep out the
floor.  A friend of mine has his bees about 3/4 mile east of me and had
about 5 hives that had Queen Cells.  Will check all my hives again as I
had not seen any cells.  I have 4 bait hives close to his hives as he
didn't want to drive each night and check on them.  I live 25 miles
north of Kansas City Mo.  Well that is my little story for the time
being.  Hope everybody has a good year.

Ken Lawrence: Back to 24 hives and growing again: