From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 10:08:08 -0600
> In this set-up, which I mentally had in mind but did not express, I
> recommended to Elizabeth that she should always have 10 frames in her
> brood nest.

FWIW, I ran many hives in Ross Rounds production for many years and used
both nine (Stoller spaced) and ten frames (self spaced) in the brood area
of single brood chamber hives as standard procedure. I *never* was able
to detect *any* difference in brood production, etc. between them.   A
good queen in peak season will often go to one wall or the other if the
combs are good. Moreover, young queens will compete for space against
nectar and pollen if there is any storage space in the supers and I can't
recall ever seeing one that ran out of space in a single -- either 9 or 10
frame.

The quality and uniform spacing of the combs is far more important in
determining whether the queen has adequate space.  Warped or distorted
combs and/or crowding with honey and pollen are common causes of loss of
laying space.

> I wish all new beekeepers had the opportunity to join a club in their
area.

I couldn't agree more.

Allen

--
Buy, sell, trade, get a job, hire help, announce a
meeting, advertise a business or publication...