From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 16:25:59 EDT
Any word on what happened during the second week of May when these guys (see
below) went to Washington?

Clipped from a letter to American Honey Producers Association:
   We feel, with this provision in the (federal) budget specifically
earmarking some monies for specialty crops that this may be our opportunity
to get the loan deficiency program reinstated on honey. Lyle Johnston, Jack
Meyer, Jr., Steve Parks, Bobby Coy, Harvey Price, and myself (Richard Adee)
are going into Washington the second week of May to work on legislation to
reinstate the program. We will ask for an 80-cent per pound loan rate, which
according to a recent study by Dr. Roger Hoopingarner is 70% of cost of
production. The buy back rate will be set by the world market.

They were also working on this (clipped again):
    We will also be touching base with the Agricultural Appropriations
subcommittee concerning the funding of USDA-ARS bee research. The
administrations budget request an increase of $300,000 for the Weslaco Bee
Lab and we want an additional $300,000 for the Baton Rouge Bee Lab. This will
enable Baton Rouge to bring on a full-time scientist to enhance the research
for mite resistant bees.