From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:03:02 -0500
Stefan Stangaciu wrote:
   Did anybody from the "List" used myrtle oil (Nelkenoel in German)

> instead of the classical smoking which may deteriorate the honey's quality?
>
>     This essential oil is:
>
> * bee repellent;

 This is interesting.  I have never heard of using myrtle oil, which you say
is an essential oil.  How is it applied - with a fume board?   How well does
it  repel bees?  Could this be used in clearing a super of bees for harvesting
honey, much as we do with butyric anhydride now?  It would be wonderful if
some less noxious substitute could be used in place of butyric anhydride.

However, on the subject if smoking bees:  There are right ways and wrong ways
to do this.  In my experience with Italian bees, a light puff at the entrance
30 seconds before lifting the cover, and then a single light puff under the
inner cover is usually all that is necessary for working a hive.  It is hard
for me to get this across to new helpers in the yard, who often think it is
necessary to make it look like the whole place is afire!  If the colony won't
settle down with a gentle puff it is time to requeen it.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA