From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 19:57:39 +0200
Ernest Caldwell wrote:

> Has anyone out there had any experience or do you have information on
> requeening colonies using queen cells?  We have recently begun trying this
> method and would like input from anyone who has tried this method.  What have
> been your success rates?
>
> Also, in the case where the queen cell is introduced into the colony, without
> killing the existing queen, what percentage of the time will the new, virgin
> queen kill the existing queen.

Hi Ernest,

I have been requeening with ripe cells for some years. There are two different
ways that I have been trying. First to put a cell in the top box of a hive
without excluder, and without removing the old queen. In around 60% of the
hives I had the new queen laying. In 20% there was the old lady still wandering
around, and in 20% there was an F2 queen.

When first removing the old queen I had success rate of around 80% ending up
with the "right" queen. 20% F2 queens.

There will be differences between years, weather and so on, but generally I'm
satisfied with the result. I do the requeening when the main honey flow starts.
Then the bees have been produced that's going to give me the crop. Three weeks
without a laying queen during the flow increase that crop when there is no grubs
to feed.

This works on lat 60, with a short and intense summer. And it is average results.
There can be big differences between years. I'm going to put more text about this
on my homepage when I get time.

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden