From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2006 11:12:05 -0400
Jeffrey Hamelman wrote:
> I have a persistent skunk, who comes at night and takes up residence under the bottom board of one of my colonies, and then eats who knows how many bees all night long. Any advice?

22 long rifle.

I know that skunks are good, but not for bees. You can elevate the hive
so the skunk has to get up on its hind legs to feast and lay down nails,
spikes and the like, but I have found that it is better to remove them
permanently. For a long time I would capture them and release them
elsewhere, but you are only creating a problem for someone else. (Found
out that my area was the release area for the town, so I decided to make
it a terminal point.)

If you do decide to capture them, use a "have a heart" trap. Bait it
with a hard boiled egg.. You will catch it that night, since skunks are
dumber than skunks. Put a tarp up in front of you and cover the trap,
then transport it to where you wish to release it. I was fearful of
being sprayed when I released them, but they generally just took the
whole thing as an inconvenience, with no umbrage.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine