From:
"Jeffrey R. Hills" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2010 08:17:17 -0500
Here are some trail camera pictures of the bears that visited me earlier
this year.

The game warden estimated this guy's weight at 275 lbs.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/jrhills/Bear01.jpg

Here's a youngster arriving for a look.  The game warden thought this bear
was a yearling "problem bear."  Note the tie-down strap around the hive.  A
bad strategy - worse than no strap because the bear does MORE damage getting
inside.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/jrhills/Bear05.jpg

Here's another shot of the same young bear.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff397/jrhills/Bear09.jpg

Now I have an electric fence.  I sometimes see bear scat in the vicinity of
my hives, but haven't any damage to my hives since they moved behind the
fence.  For what it's worth, I use a Zareba B5 charger rated for 5 miles of
fence with a 12 Volt Sears Diehard Garden Tractor battery.  This combination
lights up all 5 lights on the tester and ZAPS the fence.  When the battery
voltage tests at 12.1 volts or less (which is after about 8 weeks on the
fence) I recharge it back up to 13.2 volts and put it back in service.

Jeff Hills

Dorset, VT