From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:24:46 -0900
Hi Hervé & All,

> 3 other hives had no activity. All 3 are Russian. I
> was wondering why because they are all ventilated and
> dispatched among Italian hives in as sunny location as
> Italians.
>
> Any explaining comments welcome

First the temperatures seem warm for winter temperatures or I guess fall
temperatures depending on where you are. It might depend on whether there is any
forage about where the bees are located. The Italian colonies are probably still
brooding while I might think the Russians have either slowed or stopped brooding
for the season. If there is no forage about the Russians have probably stopped
brooding for the season. Italians have a habit of brooding out of season. With
the Italians gathering water, this may indicate that they are into brooding and
need the humidity inside the hive for the brood.

One thing I have observed about the Russian bees that I keep is that they will
stay quite in the fall and winter when there is no forage or if the temperatures
are low and there is no good reason for them to be flying. This I count as a
good trait for my northern climate where they will not fly until temperatures
are high enough for safe cleansing flights and they are capable of returning to
the hive. Other strains of bees I find taking cleansing flights at lower
temperatures and end up with some bees dying in the snow.

I find the Russian bees very conservative, frugal, able to handle a high level
of stress and remain calm, able to hold their bowls for long periods with no
problems, and deal with lower temperature without insulation. I have only been
observing Russians now for three summers and two winters so my opinion might
change with more time with them.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,