From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:04:48 -0400
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:43:36 -0400, James Fischer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Maybe the money and time is being spent because
>BOTH TYPES of operations have been affected by CCD,
>and all the negative factors you listed have been
>(at least, initially) ruled out as contributory
>factors in CCD due to the wide range of actual

stress has never been ruled out !!! and was fingered from the very start by many many
researchers.

I'm not saying that non commercial operations that are stationary never have problems I'm saying
that those operation have reduced the risks by running an operation that is inherently more
sustainable.

the non sustainable operation is so screwed up that all the CCD studies in the world will only be a
band aid even if they do find something definitive to hang a hat on.

>2) One guy from Minnesota who has never seen a single
>   case of CCD with his own eyes, and therefore calls
>   everyone involved in (1) either a liar or a fool.

I have never said I don't beleive that CCD is real. I am saying its been overblown. You know darm
well how over blown it is. We had a massive winter kill in northern US last winter and those dead
bees, not lost, laying on the bottom boards were conveniently counted as empty hives. The
almonds were polliinated and we never had a queen or package shortage.

We have had shortages of bees for pollination and shortages of queens and packages since 2000
and we never called in the Army with their diagnostic equipment.

My point is simply why waste time and money diagnosing a sick bunch of bees kept in a way that
makes no sense if you want healthy bees.

Its all backward in your mind Jim. You have attached too much importance to the economics of the
problem and forgot that keeping bees healthy and alive should be the first priority of commercial
beekeeping. Its not and that the crux of the problem here.

The system is flawed and the sham is that we act like we can fix it with what, inspections ( we
don't need those bees if we have our act together) ? some fancy genetic testing?  None of that will
fix the inherent flaw that money,profits and industrial Ag have helped paint commercial beekeping
into a corner with no way back to a healthy industry free of crisis and shortages.

Things are tough in the Heartland this summer. We've had plenty more fines and citatons in this
region for shop rag treatments. Some heavy hitters from leading bee organizations caught up this
time.  A large regional packer has raised their in house specs for off label chems. All symptoms of
a sick, sick puppy IMO.