From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 19:39:11 +0900
Brian Tucker wrote:

>I read in the book The Hive and The Honeybee that there is a italian strain
>that is almost all golden it has only alittle bit of black in the end of it's
>abdomen. does anyone known if anyone in the states sell this golden bee?

The golden italian is one end of the spectrum of the Ligurian strain which
in nature varies from tan leather to almost golden red.  Some breeders have
produced these as a speciality line but they are selecting for beauty rather
than other qualities.  On Kangaroo Island, the Ligurian bee sanctuary, there
is considerable variation in markings amongst the naturalized Ligurian
population but I find the darker queens are consistently better survivors
and honey producers.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island