From:
Thom Bradley <"thomremove thisbrad"@VISI.NET>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:29:00 -0400
John Mitchell wrote:

> <<All other efforts must be directed at getting others to
> obey/enforce the law.>>
>
>    In discussions I had a month ago with a Massachusetts Pesticide Board
> spokesperson concerning the possiblity of spraying malathion to control
> mosquitoes later this year, I quickly hit a wall when that person said, 'When
> it comes to the health of honey bees versus the health of humans (to control
> West Nile virus, which lives in mosquitoes), we'll choose human health every
> time.'
>    I found it hard to argue with that.

        Of course, you can't argue with that statement. But the statement has
no context to the argument.
        It is the same as justifying a raise in the cigarette tax because it's
to protect the children. Anyone against this tax is anti-children.
        "Beekeepers choose the health of humans over the health of bees as
well.", is the correct response to that argument but you really can have
your cake and eat it too.

        Our point is that the rest of the U.S. follows the law and applies
pesticides as they are supposed or faces court. The governments simply
do what the hell they want and says, it's for the children or it's for
all our benefit.

        ALL THEY NEEDED TO DO LAST OCTOBER WAS SPRAY 3 HOURS LATER IN THE DAY.
Or wait 2 weeks for the first frost to kill to mosquitos. The reason
they do not comply is because it is not convenient for them. They did
not want to pay for pilots that could fly at dusk. In this area Air
Force Reserve pilots were available at no cost. That they were not
licensed to fly at night was of no consequence. They simply changed the
flying time to the middle of the afternoon. They couldn't spray on the
days bees couldn't fly as that would reduce the effectiveness of the
chemical. So, they ensured a very good bee kill by spraying during prime
flight days in the middle of an excellent fall goldenrod and aster flow.

        Thanks I needed to vent.
Now in the order I have personal been affected.
1) Pesticides
2) Bears
3) Varroa
4) Tracheal ( I could not treat some hives while recovering from major
surgery)

Thom