From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 1995 12:47:21 -0600
On Sun, 7 May 1995, Jim Osborn wrote:

> After learning about Push-In queen introduction cages at the WAS-93
> conference at Simon Frasier, I've never had a rejection.  I suppose
> this cage may be too much hassle for a large commercial operation,
> but I suspect the increased acceptance rate makes it worthwhile even
> for many of these folks.

Particurly for breeder queens.

> A tip from a sideliner in our local club: do queen transfers in the
> cab of your pickup (or other confined area) in case she gets loose
> and decides to try her wings.

Another good way is to do it inside a plastic bag like a dry cleaners
bag.  You put one hand in from each side and watch thru the plastic.

Some take a 2 lb bee package, make a hinged cover for the top hole and
make 3 or 4 inch round holes in each end into which they insert gloves.
The glove openings are then tacked or stapled around the hole and then you
have ahandy portable device that allows you to put the queen cage etc in
and seal it, then put a hand in each glove and work inside while watching
thru the screen.

Allen

(Yes Adam, I really *am* going out to move the bees.  I had to unload the
truck first and afterward just happened to wander too close to this
computer.  As a result, I was sucked into its vortex -- I'm leaving now).

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                        VE6CFK
Rural Route One   Swalwell   Alberta   Canada  T0M 1Y0
Email:   [log in to unmask]    or   [log in to unmask]
Virtual Art Gallery: http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka