From:
Andre Simoneau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:40:16 -0400
Stan wrote:

" I would much appreciate it if someone would post the symptoms of
imidacloprid poisoning in bees."

Allow me to give you general symptoms of intoxication in bees.
Two types:
1. Acute intox.
Agressiveness, trembling, convulsion/paralysi, death within 1 to 2 days.

2. Subacute intox.
Do not cause death but disturb greatly the animal.On the worker, we can observe lost
of memory, disturbances in flight and forage behavior and of the "recruiting activities"(error in
transmitting the emplacement of the source of food for other bees)
Symptoms are trembling, rotation on place, curving of the abdomen and an non-stop
rubbing of legs together.
Finally bees do not come back at the hive resulting in depopulation of adult bees and a
desequilibrium in the ratio brood/adults. Cares to the brood are neglected and it cools off
and the colony dies after a few MONTHS after the beginning of intoxication.
A hard case to diagnose since there are no more dead bees in the hive.

Ref. La Sante de l'abeille, France

Andre Simoneau, d.v.m.
Quebec Ministry of Agriculture