From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:24:48 -0700
> >RE: RNAi   Better understanding of mechanisms that lead to toxicity and
> biosafety issues are essential before RNAi can become a practical
> therapeutic. Important aspects related to toxicity that need consideration
> include immune activation and off-target effects.

Excellent points, Pete!  With Remebee dsRNA, the colonies responded better
to once a month treatment, than to once a week.  Once a week appeared to
"overload" them.

>So, it does have some prophylactic effect?

The results certainly suggest that it does, but in the trial that I ran, it
did not prevent partial or complete collapse after a major artificial
inoculation with the virus cocktail, coupled with cold weather.  The tests
this year should help to answer your question under "normal" conditions.
 The ideal test would be of one's worst yard, due to poor nutrition and
possibly mites--those colonies that you suspect aren't going to make it
through the winter.

>And, to practice IPM, how does one know " the bees already have a low-level
virus infection"?

Dave Wick will run IVDS screens for $40 per sample.

>Give us the short version of what remebee is made of (ingredients) and the
application method if you would.

It is made from double-stranded RNA sequences specific to the viruses
targeted, similar (or the same) as those produced intracellularly by
virus-infected bees.  It is fed in syrup once a month just before onset of
cold weather.  Cost should be in line with other bee treatments.

>Why do you let almond growers dictate the almond fee.

Bob, they "dictated" $45 a few years ago.  Do you really think that they are
now "dictating" $175??? Or "dictating" $200 for the two-frame colonies that
you reported in mid February last year?  If that's dictation, then please
let me be the stenographer!

>Am I the only person which thinks an increase of four times in honey
production ( has to increase pollination also  in order to get the honey
increase) is quite a claim?

Bob, you are often the only person thinking a certain way, but in this case,
both I and most anyone would agree with you.  I would not have made that
claim, although they could indeed pull it from the data.

 >Also *if* remebee or remebee pro is not intended *by the maker* for use on
*healthy * bees then why the increase in honey production claims?

Bob, do you believe every piece of ad copy???  The product only has
potential to help colonies fight virus infection.  If viruses are knocking
off the field force, that hive is not going to make honey.