From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2010 10:22:59 -0500
Hey Kirk,

> Varroa control is the one to keep focused on. The rest is easy.

The big boys were all set on using the new Mitaway strips (clear a hive of
both mites in 7 days *including* varroa in cells) but the EPA has put a hold
on shipments wanting additional paper work ( source Liz at Mitaway this
morning).

The big commercial states were set to have taken delivery by now and
miteaway is ready to ship.

The states awaiting delivery are North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, New York,
Hawaii & California (if I understood correctly). Currently I am the only
person in the lower forty eight working on getting the strips yet this fall.
Mainly to test.

*if* the strips work as designed then these strips will solve many issues.

To get started on getting the strips for your state a 24-C special needs
form needs filed. A letter of need from your state organization and letters
from a state entomologist and a commercial beekeeper wanting the strips is
helpful. Liz at Miteaway can advise like she did me.The EPA has put the
strips on a fast track but expect three weeks to get approved.

Next spring it is expected the strips will be available in all states under
the regular registration

bob