Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2008 10:08:10 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Bee-L just got its juju back.  We're back to Informed posts and to posts that firmly, directly, accurately and politely challenge the challenge-worthy without long-winded confusion, point-scoring and diabtribes.

Aaron: many many thanks for that.  Bee-L is import to us.  It needs a strong custodian with that strong view of what the list should be and what the list needs.  Be firm, trust in your own judgement, we're with you!

You said somewhere that 95% of posts are approved.  For me, that is too high.  People should see that only the highest quality posts get through.  We should *expect* that many of our posts are rejected, failing to make the grade.  In some ways, it is like publishing in a scientific journal - you don't expect the editor to think every contribution worthwhile.  You have to be saying something interesting, justifiable, appropriate, well-presented, relevant, polite and reasonably novel.  If you fail, you try harder next time.

It saddens me that you are getting grief behind the scenes.  Whoever they are, they've got it wrong.  The referee is always right even if his interpretation of the rules at one particular infringement is debateable.  In the sports I watch, arguing with the referee gets you a yellow card.  Persist with it and you get a red and are removed from the field of play, sometimes for weeks.  You might try that if you like.

And as for talk of splinter-lists - great!  Bee-L is and always will be the most respected in cyberland.  If a few individuals (and I've no idea who you are talking about) decide to go off in the huff, great!  Bee-L will probably be better without them.

best wishes

Gavin

* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2