From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:34:53 -0500
Colony numbers have always depended on who is counting and why.

Government counts (and I have done them) depend on whether there is a payment per hive expected, a qualifying minimum for something, some other incentive based on numbers -- per hive or a potential levy per hive. These numbers can be amazingly elastic..

These, and other factors like pollination inspections can decide whether to split or not, how drastically, and when.

Are nucs hives?  Sometimes they are and sometimes not.

As for production numbers, the denominator (hive count) depends on whether the beekeeper wants to exaggerate production, size of operation, or plead poverty.

As one astute beekeeper, (an adept liar himself) said to me, "First liar never had a chance!"