Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2015 05:42:02 -0500
Charles wrote: "Systemics  are designed to precisely target those pest, the ones that cause problems. and then disappear into the environment with no harm."

Is that really so?  At a talk at our BKA AGM a few days ago the speaker (who admitted bias) said that the breakdown products of some of these products were more harmful than the products themselves.  What happens to the creatures that create the soil upon which we all depend, such as earthworms?  What happens to the creatures at the bottom of the food chain in streams, ponds and rivers where the products or their breakdowns will likely end up? How about the natural predators of the target species: a bird might eat thousands of insects a day, each with a small dose that will add up?  And, of course, at the top of the food chain is US as the food manufacturers have no way of taking the systemics out of what ends up on the shelves.

Chris