Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 13:29:47 GMT+0200
Hi All/John

John, you mentioned the large number of swarms being removed in the
Arizona area.

I think the important thing to remember here is that the Bees in
africa don't have a seasonal swarming urge, as much as a seasonal
swarming result. The queen burns out and they swarm. Hence, if one
has a strong flow in mid winter in many areas here, the bees swarm
after a while. If there is not a flow, they wait till the next one
and swarm then.

I have noticed a strong mid winter swarming impules in the karroo
region of my country - when the aloes and agave flower - I gather you
have agave as well. Last year these succulents flowered in mid winter
due to the unusual rainfall and we had many swarms floating around.

I think with time, as people begin to accept the african bees you
will see them viewing those swarms as a resource. In cities like
Bulawayo and Harare (Zimbabwe), Durban and Port Elizabet (South
Africa) I know of beekeepers who move in just over 4000 empty used
deep hive bodies, to areas in these cities - by the end of every
season every one of those boxes is full. In Zimbabwe most beekeepers
requeen the hives with better african stock and use the swarms as
free labour for those queens.

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139
South Africa

Time = Honey

The Universe is not here right now, if you would like
to leave a message, leave your name and number after
the long silence and it will get back to you as soon
as possible.