From:
Robert Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 20:47:05 -0600
Martin!  (from Ar.) your answer is superb, and All!   See my only comment
after your "clipped"  2.

I would learn a lot if Ed would respond  to the comments so far on this
thread with information as to the look-actions
of the two queens,  the brood status (eggs?   pattern?  number?),  Status of
nector and pollen in the area this time of year,  and if known, whether new
queens occur in single mode at this time.   Answers here would help ME draw
some conclusions to the question asked.  Answers from a number of beekeepers
in central Florida  would be interesting too!
----------
> From: Martin Braunstein <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Two queens in the same hive
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 97 03:28:27 +0000
>
>Ed,
>
>It is not uncommon to find two queens in the same hive. However, there are
>several possibilites you must consider:
>
>1) Are the two queens mated? Or one is mated while the other is a virgin?
>If you look at them carefully you can judge from their body size and
>behaviour into which category they fit. Virgin queens are smaller and walk
>nervously over the combs while mated queens have larger abdomens and walk
>calmly.
>
>2) You might have an old queen ready to be superseded by her daughter. If
>this is the case you might look carefully the brood combs and see if you
>come across a recently hatched queen cell.
>But considering the time of the season in the northern hemisphere (end of
>fall) I think it is a bit difficult to have a hive wanting to replace its
>queen at this time of the year when there is a shortage or complete absence
>of drones.

I think it correct that Orlando, (Central Florida) where freezing weather is
rare and mild, this time of year does not occur, drones are present (I
believe), and there is likely a very appreciable nector flow and pollen,  it
seems to me that the best bet is an old queen superseded,  and a young
queen, maybe virgin and maybe laying with her, not an unusual
situation......R. Barnett